header image

header image

Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Verbal Responses to Teasing

Use the idea below to teach kids some ways to respond to teasing.   
*adapted from Thomas Walsh's documents on Broadmoor Technical Center site

Verbal Jujutsu!  Heiiii Yah! Or how to defend against teasing.
Jujutsu, literally meaning the "art of softness", is a Japanese martial art consisting of techniques that were developed around the principle of using an attackers energy against him, rather than directly opposing it, thereby protecting both the attacker and the artful defender.  

Remember, only the weak feel the need to tease.

Ambivalent Responses:

  • So? So what?
  • Who Cares?
  • Oh well.
  • That's cool.
  • Whatever.
  • What do you mean?
  • Maybe.

Assertive Responses:

  • And your point is? 
  • Thank you.
  • Good one.
  • I don't have time for this.
  • I'd respond, but I can associate with you.
  • That's your opinion.
  • I don't appreciate your remark.
  • A lady/gentleman never responds to unkind remarks.
  • That doesn't bother me.
  • Why would you want to say something like that?

  Silly Responses (throw them off gaurd)

  • Is that from a movie?
  • What do you mean?
  • Interesting you think that way.
  • What gave you that impression?
  • I don't speak your lingo.
  • Oh yeah?  Well okay then.
  • I'd sling mud back, but I don't want to mess up my clothes.
  • The measure of a person is their ability to ignore negativity. 
  • Can you say that 3 times fast?
  • My mom taught me better than to say those things. 
  • We'll have to agree to disagree.
  • I'd argue with you, but I'd be late for my basket weaving class.

 

    No comments:

    Post a Comment