header image

header image

Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Quick One-Liners That Can End Conflict And Preserve Everyone's Dignity

We can't expect respect if we aren't able to repay the favor.  It's easy to treat others with dignity and respect when they are being kind, however, when they aren't, they need us to do so more than ever.  It can be very easy to get drawn into a power struggle.  Next time you recognize the bait, try replying with one of these statements delivered in a calm tone.

These are adapted from Dr. Allen N. Mendler...

  • Wow, I had no idea you felt that way.  Tell me more at a later time.
  • I'm sorry you feel that way.
  • The choice is yours and you can change your mind if you want.
  • I feel disrespected.  Is that what you meant?
  • I use those kinds of words when I'm really upset.  I'm sorry you feel upset right now.
  • Your language is totally unacceptable.  What is it that you really want to say?
  • When you are ready to speak in an appropriate tone, I'll be happy to listen.
  • You might be right about that.
  • You present an interesting opinion.
  • If I allowed you to do that, I would be showing no respect.  I will respect you even when you show little respect for yourself.
  • Now is not a good time for me to tell you.  I know it's hard to wait, but thanks for hanging in there.

No comments:

Post a Comment