header image

header image

Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Turn Your Words Into Gold

Have you ever gotten yourself into a pickle by making a statement to a student that you can't enforce?  Check out the list below taken from  Jim Fay's Love and Logic.  It shows how to turn your words into gold!


Unenforceable (U):  Please sit down.  I'm going to start now.
Enforceable (E):  I'll begin as soon as you are seated.

U: Raise your hand if you want to talk to me.
E:  I'm sure you're anxious to talk, and I listen to people who raise their hands.  Thank you.

U:  Please be quiet.  It's time to begin.
E:  I'll be glad to start as soon as you show me that you're ready.

U:  Open your books to page 54.
E:  I'll be working from page 54

U:  I'm not going to line you up until everyone is quiet.
E:  I'll be lining people up as soon as it is quiet.

U:  Don't sharpen your pencil while I'm talking.
E:  I allow people to sharpen pencils when I'm not giving directions.

U:  You can't go to the restroom until I finish the directions.
E:  Feel free to go to the restroom when I'm not giving directions.

U:  Don't talk out.  Raise your hand if you want to speak.
E:  I listen to people who raise their hands.

U:  Pay attention.
E:  I'll start again as soon as I know you are with me.

U:  Don't be bothering your neighbors.
E:  You are welcome to stay with us as long as you and others are not being bothered.

U:  Keep you hands to yourself.
E:  Feel free to stay with us when you can keep your hands to yourself.

U:  Turn your assignment in on time or you'll get a lower grade.
E:  I give full credit for papers turned in on time.

U:  Don't talk to me in that tone of voice!
E:  I'll listen as soon as your voice is as calm as mine.

U:  You show some respect.
E:  I'll be glad to discuss this when respect is shown.

U:  Don't be late for class.
E:  All of those who arrive on time go home on time.

U:  Don't try to turn in sloppy papers to me.
E:  I'll be glad to accept all papers that meet the neatness standard for this room.

U:  Keep desks organized and neat.
E:  All owners of neat desks are welcome to join us at recess.

U:  I'm not loaning you any more paper.
E:  I loan paper to those who have not borrowed before.

U:  If you can't remember your pencil, you're just going to have to do without.
E:  Feel free to borrow from anyone but me.

U:  You're not going out without your coat.
E:  You may go out as soon as you have your coat on.

U:  You're not going to stay in this group and act like that.
E:  You may stay with us if you can give up on that behavior.

U:  Don't come back to this room until you can show some respect.
E:  Feel free to come back to the room as soon as you are calm.

U:  Quit breaking the rules of the game.
E:  Those who can follow the rules are welcome to play the game.

U:  Get your area cleaned up right now, and I mean it!
E:  You are welcome to join us for _________ as soon as your area is clean.

U:  Stop arguing with me!
E:  I'll be glad to discuss this with you as soon as the arguing stops.

U:  If you can't treat the paint brushes properly, you'll just have to sit out this project.
E:  All of those who can handle the paint brushes properly are welcome to join us in the project.

U:  If you forget your permissions slip, you're going to miss the trip.
E:  All of those who remember permission slips are welcome to go on the field trip.

No comments:

Post a Comment