header image

header image

Thursday, February 16, 2012

Behavior Bingo

I found this neat management plan at http://www.proteacher.net/
Below are a couple descriptions by two teachers telling how they used it:

Option 1
I learned about using Behavior Bingo, and some other systems earlier this summer in CHAMPS professional development training on classroom management. I learned to do it three ways: either you can look for something that someone in the class is doing that is a desirable behavior (like highlighting, taking notes, being a good listener, helping someone else), and then call a "Bravo" moment (or whatever bingo term you wish to use), and have that student come up to the board, and mark with a dry erase marker over a number (they have to pull a number out of a can/jar that matches those on the board)

The other way I have seen it done is by groups, if a group is on task, call a Bingo moment, at random, so the students never know which group will get picked....(same process as above)...

And, the last way I have seen it done is as a review of facts of some kind, math, english, spelling, etc....

The rewards could be simple, or more detailed depending on what you have time in your teaching day for. Some could be five minutes of chat time with your neighbor, or a big reward like popcorn and a movie, popsicles, etc.

Option 2
I use Behavior Bingo as a whole class management tool. Basically it's a hundreds board and when the whole class has all done something well in the classroom or received a compliment from someone they would get numbers drawn and we'd fill them in on the chart. It always varied as to how many numbers I would draw. They also knew that if they asked for bingo numbers, they would not get them. When they got 10 in a row, we would celebrate in some way as a class. When a "wild" was drawn I would select a student (randomly with sticks) to tell me which number they wanted filled in. Then if we later drew that number, we'd treat it as a "wild" again. 

Make Your Own Bingo Card 

Tips:
  • Keep ways to earn points posted
  • Make them as positive as possible
  • Come up with a list of rewards for class or individual student to earn beforehand
  • Pull numbers out of a shoebox and discard until there is a bingo  


 

1 comment:

  1. Below is an idea that Cindy Jones, 7th grade math, sent out to her building...

    "I adapted some of the ideas into a "Bravo Behavior" chart that I am going to use in class to reenforce equal representations of decimals, fractions & percents.

    When I notice someone behaving in a particularly good manner, I am going to tell them, "Bravo!" and have them draw from the jar of various decimal/fraction/percent slips. When they draw one out, let's say it is 1/5, they will then get to stamp 20 of the squares off of the hundreds grid. We will take a minute to discuss why 1/5 is 20 squares, 20 percent, etc. as well as why we are stamping a "hundred's grid." When they get it all full, they will earn 5 minutes of free time for their class. I have copied the grids onto card stock and are hanging them on the wall. I think it will be fun.

    I just got the idea today and made the grid on Excel. I am sure I will change it again as I use it. Feel free to use, delete, or modify as you will.

    Enjoy!"

    Bravo Behavior Chart for Math

    ReplyDelete